Rosenthal (Kozma 84)
OFFICIALS & BOOKINGS
Referee: D R Elleray (Harrow)

VENUE MANAGERS
Wembley (capacity 100,000)
Attendance: 61,291
Howard Wilkinson (Leeds U)
Graeme Souness (Liverpool)

Price: J3,50 (the price is specified in a year of made and sale of this programme)

Notes:

- Paul Stewart makes his LFC debut.

Ooh-Aah-Cantona

A brilliant hat-trick from French ace Eric Cantona lit up Wembley in the highest scoring FA Charity Shield game for 24 years. Cantona's treble gave League Champions Leeds a dramatic 4-3 win over FA Cup holders Liverpool but the Merseysiders made them fight all the way.

Twice in the last 13 minutes Cantona struck with opportunist efforts that looked to have finished off gallant Liverpool. But in the dying seconds Mark Wright forced an own goal from Gordon Strachan to keep the 61,291 Wembley crowd enthralled to the end. It was the most exciting curtain-raiser to the season for years and the highest scoring since Manchester City beat West Brom 6-1 in 1968.

Liverpool began the game with their usual collection of players ruled out through injury: John Barnes, Jan Molby, Steve McManaman and Rob Jones but new 2.3 million pound midfielder Paul Stewart, their summer signing from Tottenham, fitted in well as Liverpool ran the game for long periods.

Leeds, who left 2 million pound David Rocastle on the bench, first breached Liverpool's fragile defence in the 25th minute. David Batty put Rod Wallace away on the left and he coolly cut the ball back for Cantona to strike his first goal from eight yards, with the help of a deflection from David Burrows.

Liverpool went straight back on to the attack, Ian Rush nodding wide and then Stewart seeing his low shot deflected a fraction wide. The goal they deserved eventually came in the 34th minute when Rosenthal was allowed to turn and Rush rifled home the equaliser with a header from the Israeli's accurate cross.

Liverpool were making most of the running but Leeds looked dangerous on the break and two minutes before half-time the Anfield rearguard was breached again, after they had conceded a free-kick on the edge of the box. Tony Dorigo lashed in a shot and the ball deflected off Rosenthal on the end of the wall to leave Bruce Grobbelaar helpless.

It was a cruel blow for Graeme Souness' men but they shrugged it off and dominated again at the start of the second half, Lukic having to make a good save from Mark Walters' low drive. The second equaliser came in the 65th minute. Walters' shot was blocked but Saunders picked up the rebound and lashed it home.

Grobbelaar kept out a Wallace shot with his legs while Saunders and Burrows both missed the target at the other end as Cantona struck again. This time he nodded down McAllister's long free-kick, Chris Fairclough chested the ball back to him and the Frenchman lashed a low shot past Grobbelaar from 15 yards. Ten minutes later Cantona grabbed his hat-trick with a simple header after Grobbelaar completely missed Wallace's cross.

In the final minute Leeds failed to clear a corner, allowing Wright to drive the ball into the net of the heels of substitute Strachan, but Leeds clung on for a famous win.

Cantona later handed the credit to his team-mates: "I'm very happy to score three goals but me, I'm not very important. It's more important for the whole team." But the French ace's striking partner Lee Chapman put Cantona's superb performance into perspective, saying: "He fully deserved to score three goals and he's going to have a great season."

"He took a while to adapt because English football is so different, but he can only get better and better." And, looking ahead to Leeds' bid to retain their championship, Chapman added: "It's going to be a great season. It's looking good but there's a long way to go."

Leeds manager Howard Wilkinson said: "I enjoyed the result and the game. It was just the sort of match the English game needs at the moment but it was not surprising with so much skill out there today. It would be nice if we see that level of skill in the Premier League in the new season. But there were some defenders out there today who won't bee too happy with their performances. Perhaps there will be a lesson in that for them and we might see defenders getting on top in the League."

Wilkinson, although reluctant to nominate a man of the match, praised Cantona's performance. He said: "He's scored three goals in the Charity Shield at Wembley. I believe nobody has done that before, so it's an historic performance. He's a better player now in my view than six months ago and I'm not just talking in terms of English football. He's got exceptional potential and his attitude in training since he came back from the European Championships has been just right. Perhaps he was a bit disillusioned by what happened in Sweden but he hasn't shown it with us."

Wilkinson predicted the match would "not mean a thing" as far as his team's opening Premier League game against Wimbledon next Saturday is concerned. "The main thing I'm pleased about is that we have no serious injuries and we have shown ourselves we are pretty fit. I think Graeme Souness would have a similar view."

Souness said: "I thought we played well and dominated the second half but we gave away some goals that I would hate us to do in the League. It was very un-Liverpool."

© Copyright of British Soccer Week - Transcribed by lfchistory.net.

Nottingham Forest  1 - 0  Liverpool

Sunday 16 August 1992 FA Premier League

Nottingham Forest Liverpool
1 - 0  (1-0)

GOAL
 Sheringham 28  

1  Mark Crossley
  2  Brian Laws
  3  Stuart Pearce
  4  Terry Wilson
  5  Steve Chettle
  6  Roy Keane
  7  Gary Crosby
  8  Scot Gemmill
  9  Nigel Clough
 10  Teddy Sheringham
 11  Ian Woan

Subs:
 13  Andy Marriott
 12  Kingsley Black
 14  Gary Bannister
  1  David James
  2  Nick Tanner
  3  David Burrows
  4  Steve Nicol
  5  Ronnie Whelan
  6  Mark Wright (c)
  7  Dean Saunders
  8  Paul Stewart
  9  Ian Rush
 10  Mark Walters
 11  Michael Thomas

Subs:
 13  Mike Hooper
 12  Ronny Rosenthal
 14  Steve McManaman

SUBSTITUTIONS
 Crosby (Black 85)  Rush (McManaman 46)
 Walters (Rosenthal 74)

OFFICIALS & BOOKINGS
Referee: Mike Reed (Birmingham)
 Booked: Keane 16  Booked: Burrows 12, Rush 60
VENUE MANAGERS
City Ground (capacity )
Attendance: 20,038
Brian Clough (Nottingham F)

Price: J1,00 (the price is specified in a year of made and sale of this programme)

Notes:

- David James makes his LFC debut.

- Liverpool league position after match: 11.
  - Nottingham Forest league position after match: 5.

Lest  1 - 0  Liverpool

Wednesday 19 August 1992 19:30 FA Premier League

Liverpool Sheffield United
2 - 1  (1-1)

GOAL
 Walters 43, Stewart 65  Deane 36

1  David James
  2  Rob Jones
  3  David Burrows
  4  Steve Nicol
  5  Ronnie Whelan
  6  Mark Wright (c)
  7  Dean Saunders
  8  Paul Stewart
  9  Steve McManaman
 10  Mark Walters
 11  Michael Thomas

Subs:
 13  Bruce Grobbelaar
 12  Ronny Rosenthal
 14  Nick Tanner
    1  Simon Tracey
  2  Kevin Gage
  3  David Barnes
  4  John Gannon
  5  Paul Beesley
  6  Alan McLeary
  7  Carl Bradshaw
  8  Mike Lake
  9  Ian Bryson
 10  Brian Deane
 11  Glyn Hodges

Subs:
 13  Alan Kelly
 12  Alan Cork
 14  Charlie Hartfield

SUBSTITUTIONS
 Saunders (Rosenthal 80)  Bradshaw (Cork 66)
 Gannon (Hartfield 75)

OFFICIALS & BOOKINGS
Referee: David Elleray
 Booked:  Booked:
VENUE MANAGERS
Anfield (capacity 44,631)
Attendance: 33,107
Dave Bassett (Sheffield U)

Price: J1,10

Notes:

- Sheffield U used away kits, yellow shirt & white shorts & white socks.

- Paul Stewart scores his first goal for LFC.

- Liverpool league position after match: 11.
  - Sheffield United league position after match: 10.

Paul's pearler

Liverpool's new 2.3 million pound Paul Stewart crowned an impressive Anfield debut with the winning goal against Sheffield United.

Dean Saunders beat two defenders on the right, chipped deep to the far post and Stewart stole in unmarked tot tuck the ball away under Simon Tracey's body after 65 minutes.

Liverpool fell behind after 35 minutes when David Burrows hesitated deep in his own half, allowing bustling Sheffield United striker Brian Deane to rob him, stride forward and score with a thunderous shot.

But two minutes before the break Ronnie Whelan's intelligent pass found Mark Wright in space on the edge of the United area and the winger's low angled drive flew into the far corner of the net.

United had escaped in the first minute when Tracey went down injured outside his area in a challenge on Walters. In the resulting scramble Stewart lobbed the loose ball over the bar.

Deane saw a half-blocked shot smack straight into the arms of Liverpool keeper David James, also making his home debut, and then tried an overhead kick from a Carl Bradshaw header with James stranded, but saw his effort clear the bar.

Liverpool's Steve McManaman pulled a ball back from the right flank for whelan to chip over the Sheffield rearguard, Stewart's outstretched leg diverting the ball across the face of the goal and fractionally wide.

After the break chances were at a premium until Stewart pounced, Michael Thomas producing the first notable save from Tracey with a rising shot from a tight angle on the right.

United almost grabbed the equaliser when Ian Bryson rose unmarked and came within a whisker of connecting with a Glyn Hodges corner in the closing stages.

Stewart described his winning goal on his home debut as "the perfect start" to his Anfield career. "It's always nice to score a goal at home or away, but it's obviously special because it was my home debut and I wanted to do well for the fans. It's the perfect start for me. I felt comfortable as soon as I came here. The lads made me very welcome and I felt part of the club straight away."

Manager Graeme Souness said: "We worked hard and played some good football and deserved to win against a side who always make life hard for you. There are still a lot of things to iron out, but we played very well in patches."

© Copyright of British Soccer Week - Transcribed by lfchistory.net.

L

L

L

L

L

L

L-10

L

L

C

L

S

L

L

L

L

L-20

L-

L-

L-

L-

L-

L-

L-

L-

L-

L-30

L-

L-

L-

L-

L-

L-

L-

L-

L-

L-40

L-

L-

Tottenham Hotspur  3 - 1  Liverpool

L-

L-

L-

L-

L-

L-

L-50

L-

L-

L-

L-

L-

LFr-1 

L

L

L

L

Leeds United  1 - 4  Liverpool

Tuesday 11 August 1992 Testimonial Jim Beglin

Leeds United Liverpool
1 - 4  (0-2)

GOAL
 Batty 78  Rush 12, 31, Redknapp, Saunders 80

1  John Lukic
  2  Jonathan Newsome
  3  Jim Beglin
  4  Steve Hodge
  5  David Wetherall
  6  Chris Whyte
  7  Gordon Strachan
  8  David Rocastle
  9  Lee Chapman
 10  Eric Cantona
 11  Dylan Kerr

Subs:
  -  Mervyn Day
  -  David Batty
  -  Gary McAllister
  -  Carl Shutt
  -  Gary Speed
  -  Imre Varadi
  -  Ray Wallace
  1  David James
  2  David Burrows
  4  Jamie Redknapp
  5  Mark Wright (c)
  6  Nick Tanner
  3  Mike Marsh
  7  Dean Saunders
  8  Paul Stewart
  9  Ian Rush
 10  Ronnie Whelan
 11  Mark Walters

Subs:
  -  Don Hutchison

SUBSTITUTIONS
 Beglin (Speed 17)
 Newsome (Wallace 30)
 Lukic  (Day 46)
 Chapman (Shutt 46)
 Cantona (Varadi 46)
 Kerr (McAllister 46)
 Wetherall (Batty 46)
 Rush (Hutchison ?)
OFFICIALS & BOOKINGS
Referee: Stephen Lodge (Barnsley)

VENUE MANAGERS
Elland Road (capacity )
Attendance: 8,492
Howard Wilkinson (Leeds U)

Price: J1,00 (the price is specified in a year of made and sale of this programme)

Notes:

- Jim Beglin biography of the player.

L

L

L

Hosted by uCoz ?aeoeia@Mail.ru